West Indian Curried Goat #SundaySupper

by The ROXX Box on December 23, 2012

in #SundaySupper, Dinner ideas

Curry is a very traditional meal in the caribbean.  Many families make curried chicken, beef, goat, and seafood on a regular basis.  One of my favorite dishes is curried chicken with macaroni and cheese.  I could eat this meal everyday, all day.

For this weeks #sundaysupper, I decided to make the traditional caribbean holiday meal of curried goat.  Goat can be relatively expensive, so it is not a meat that is eaten as often as chicken or beef.  Goat is also a meat that many families prefer to make only on special occasions.   Well there is nothing more special than the Christmas holiday, and I am so happy that I am able to share this meal for #sundaysupper.

West Indian Curried Goat

West Indian Curried Goat

Here is how to prepare:

IMG_2135

Dice up 2 pounds for boneless goat meat. I normally get my goat meat at a local Indian market.

IMG_2134

In a bowl add 6 tablespoons West Indian curry powder, 3/4 tablespoon ground allspice, and salt/pepper.

IMG_2140

This is the curry powder that I prefer.

IMG_2136

Rub curry into the meat. Once done, allow meat to marinate for at least 30 minutes. You may want to apply disposable gloves when you do this since curry can stain your hands.

IMG_2137

In a cast iron dutch oven or large stock pot, add 1/4 cup canola oil and place on med heat. Once hot, add meat in batches to the pot. You don’t want to overcrowd the pot, so it’s necessary to add meat in batches.

IMG_2142

Cook meat until brown on both sides. Remove and add to a bowl. You will do this until all of the meat has been browned.

IMG_2144

Next add 1 medium onion chopped and 1 small habanero pepper cut in 1/2 and seeds removed to the pot. Add a little bit more canola oil is needed. Saute until onions begin to soften. Once this happens, add 2 tablespoons chopped garlic, and 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger to the pot and mix well. Season with salt/pepper if needed. Allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

IMG_2146

Next add browned goat meat and drippings back into the pot and mix well.

IMG_2147

Once mixed, add 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 8 ounces of tomato sauce, 3 cups beef broth, and 1/2-1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves. Mix well. Cover pot, and place on low-medium heat. Allow goat to simmer for about 2 hours or until goat meat becomes fork tender. Checking occasionally and stirring to make sure that nothing is sticking to the bottom of pot.

IMG_2148

While goat is cooking, add 2 cups diced potatoes and water to another pot and place on medium heat. Once water starts to boil, cook potatoes for an additional 2-3 minutes, then turn off heat.

IMG_2149

Strain potatoes and set aside for later use.

IMG_2151

Once goat meat is fork tender, add potatoes to pot and allow to simmer for about 15-20 minutes. You want potatoes to be soft, but not mushy.

West Indian Curried Goat

When done, serve curried goat with rice and vegetables.

Recipe adapted from www.simplerecipes.com
Enjoy!!!
Rox

Please me sure to visit the other participants listed below in this weeks #SundaySupper discussion.

Breakfast
- Orange Refrigerator Rolls by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Eggs Benedict by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Holiday Cream Cheese Tea Ring by That Skinny Chick can Bake
- Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake by Small Wallet Big Appetite

Appetizers & Snacks
- Chicken Liver Pate by Tora’s Real Food
- Bindaetteok {Mung Bean Pancakes}by Kimchi Mom
- Crab and Asparagus Soup by The Urban Mrs.
- Roasted Chestnuts by Curious Cuisiniere

- Savory Crepe Cake by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- West Indian Curried Goat by The ROXX Box
- Pot Cheese and Potato Cheese Pierogies by
Cupcakes and Kale chips
- Seafood Gumbo and Grilled Oysters: A Louisiana Christmas
Tradition by the Catholic Foodie
- Mom’s Paella by What Smells So Good?
- Portuguese inspired Chorizo Crown Pork Roast by

Sue’s  Nutrition Buzz

Drinks
- Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Cinnamon Infused Hot Chocolate with Southern Comfort Whipped
Cream by Mama Mommy Mom
- Mint Chocolate Cocoa by Mama’s Blissful Bites

What does it mean for you to be Home for the Holidays?  Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on December 23rd.  In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our #SundaySupper to talk about our Holiday Traditions.  We are so excited to have you join us.  All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag or you can follow us through TweetChat.

Please feel free to share with us and our followers your favorite Holiday recipe on our #SundaySupper Pinterest Board.  We are excited to have you.

Print Friendly

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Meridith September 10, 2014 at 12:38 am

Ei au tendința de a cădea în melancolie și locui pe
greșelile percepute atunci când daune . Ai stat
de vorbă de ceva timp , când conversația se transformă în sex .
Voi paria partenerul tau ar favoriza ai făcut-o!

azurite August 28, 2014 at 11:06 pm

The Throat Chakra is opened more fully, enabling you to clear
any blockages caused by not being able to speak your truth.
When the ajna chakra is blocked, it will affect the physical body
through lack of concentration, headaches, confusion, psychological disorders, anxiety, and panic attacks.
Karatage has no direct effect on the color of a given piece.

appetite suppressant gum today show August 28, 2014 at 1:13 am

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found
that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels.
I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future.

Numerous people will be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

yahoo August 27, 2014 at 12:45 am

Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you
using for this site? I’m getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I’ve had
issues with hackers and I’m looking at options for another
platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a
good platform.

Tramafi.Altervista.Org August 18, 2014 at 5:05 am

Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for info approximately this subject for
ages and yours is the best I have found out till now. But, what in regards to the
bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

Frieda August 9, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Quality articles or reviews is the secret to be a focus for the users to go to see the
web page, that’s what this web site is providing.

Darrin August 4, 2014 at 2:50 am

Superb, what a blog it is! This blog provides helpful
data to us, keep it up.

Christoper July 31, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering
what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would
cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m
not 100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Usando Una Caculadora Para Saber Cuando Ovulas July 24, 2014 at 4:29 am

This design is spectacular! You most certainly know
how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to
start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.

I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more
than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

google adwords tool June 22, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Hi there every one, here every person is sharing these familiarity,
so it’s fastidious to read this web site, and I used to go to see this website everyday.

Donna Currie December 29, 2012 at 4:18 am

Goat is a little hard to come by, but I’ll bet this would be great with lamb or pork.

theroxxbox December 30, 2012 at 1:30 am

Yes..Lamb is a great substitute. Thanks for the pork idea :)

Hezzi-D December 29, 2012 at 1:33 am

This looks lovely. I’ve never made a curry on my own but this looks delicious.

theroxxbox December 30, 2012 at 1:30 am
crispybitsnburntends December 28, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Welcome to #SundaySupper! I love your slogan! One bento box at a time. Hope you enjoyed your Holidays and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

theroxxbox December 30, 2012 at 1:31 am

Thanks for stopping by. I LOVE #SundaySupper. Happy I discovered it on Twitter. Happy New Year to you and your family also!!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked December 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Mmm…I love curry, every version from every culture (although some are hotter than others and I’m not a girl who can handle a lot of spice – whew!). I cook the potatoes separately too – it’s a trick I learned from my mother-in-law, who makes a kick-ass Chinese green curry. This looks so delicious and I’d never had thought of pairing curry with macaroni. I hope you had a wonderful holidays full of good food, booze and family!

theroxxbox December 30, 2012 at 1:32 am

Yes..I hate mushy potatoes. So cooking it separately works for me. Mac and curry brings back awesome childhood memories. I love it!!!

Cupcakes&KaleChips (@CupcakeKaleChip) December 27, 2012 at 3:16 am

Currie from Indian restaurant haven’t agreed with me, but I recently tried a Thai curry and loved it. Maybe I have to continue to expand my horizons!

Megan Wood (@IRun4Wine) December 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love Curry! What a great recipe.

theroxxbox December 26, 2012 at 11:06 pm
Renee Dobbs (@reneedobbs) December 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

What a nice tradition! I’ve never had goat meat and I’m not sure I can find it in my area. I’ll have to try this recipe with another meat. I do love curry a lot.

theroxxbox December 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Beef stew meat, as well as lamb works well also.

Laura | Small Wallet Big Appetite December 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

We eat Indian goat curry a lot but I have never tried a west indian curry and now I am so curious about what the differences would be.

theroxxbox December 25, 2012 at 1:02 am

I personally think Indian curry has more of a milder taste. But both are pretty comparable.

Lovely Pantry December 24, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thank you for the step by step!! I enjoy curried goat whenever I go home to Jamaica. I have not yet attempted it myself but I’m sure I’ll get around to it. What happened to the scotch bonnett pepper? :-) Merry Christmas to you!

theroxxbox December 25, 2012 at 12:59 am

LOL…I didn’t feel like going on a mad search for scotch bonnet peppers. So I decided to settle with habanero. I a very visually person, so I love to see step by step visual instructions. Can be a bit time consuming, but I prefer presenting my recipes this way. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family also!!!

The Wimpy Vegetarian December 24, 2012 at 12:27 am

I love this! I ran a goat cooking class a couple of years ago along with a local goat rancher. We still don’t see it around very much, but I really enjoyed it so much. I love the seasoning mix with the habanero you use here. Very nice flavors.

theroxxbox December 24, 2012 at 1:46 am

I love the blend of flavors in curried goat. I like this dish to have a bit of a kick with the habanero pepper, but not too overpowering.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 23, 2012 at 6:09 pm

I never had goat, but curries are one of my favorite dishes! I like the idea of macaroni cheese and curry chicken. Happy Holidays!

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) December 23, 2012 at 5:47 pm

This always makes me think of my dad, the two of us were the only ones who liked goat (or lamb) curry!

theroxxbox December 24, 2012 at 1:47 am

I love goat and lamb curry also.

thatskinnychickcanbake December 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for sharing this wonderful holiday tradition! Merry Christmas!!!

theroxxbox December 24, 2012 at 1:47 am

Merry Christmas to you also!!!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) December 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Your curry looks and sounds amazing! It brings back great childhood memories of my best friend and her family.

I remember having goat at my friend’s house…it must’ve been someone’s birthday or something. I was adventurous with food even as a kid and I loved every bite of the goat dish! Her mom was such a great cook and you could tell she put a lot of love in her dishes.

theroxxbox December 24, 2012 at 1:49 am

Yep…I love goat. It’s not a dish I eat a lot, so I look forward to having it whenever I can.

Lane R (@supperforasteal) December 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Oh my gosh. I have no idea where to find goat, but this looks amazing. I love curries.

juanitascocina December 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’ve never had goat before but that needs to change! YUM!

Isabel Foodie (@familyfoodie) December 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

It is so true… there is nothing better than a fabulous traditional Christmas Meal. Thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

theroxxbox December 24, 2012 at 1:50 am

Thanks for starting this wonderful blog where we can bring a focus back to family and having dinner together!!

beate weiss-krull (@Beatepdx) December 23, 2012 at 7:05 am