I love everything about New Orleans. From the food, to the music, to the people, New Orleans is just a fun place to visit. The last time I was in New Orleans, was in 2010 for a convention. While there, I don’t think I stopped eating. I was so stuffed, yet I couldn’t stop thinking about my next meal. Red beans & rice with andouille sausage, seafood gumbo, shrimp creole, oyster po’ boys, are just a few of the items I ate while there.
I love to cook, so recreating these meals is not difficult for me if I can find the right ingredients. Well today I was in the mood for a lobster po’boy, so I decided to make one!!
Wish I could tell you how yummy this tasted!!
New Orleans Lobster Po’ boys
2 fresh lobster tails (shells removed and meat cut into chunks)
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon corn starch
salt/pepper (to taste)
1/3 cup flour
Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning (to taste)
Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
Hot chili sauce
1. In a shallow bowl add egg, water, cornstarch, salt/pepper. Whisk until everything is properly mixed. Set aside until ready to use.
2. In another shallow bowl, add flour, Tony’s seasoning, and Old Baby seasoning. Mix well and set aside until ready to use.
3. Add oil to a cast iron frying pan and place on medium heat.
4. Add lobster meat to egg batter, and make sure all sides of lobster is coated in batter. Allow to sit in batter for a few minutes while oil is heating.
5. When oil is ready, remove lobster from egg batter, and place in flour mix. Toss to make sure lobster is properly coated with flour.
6. Add coated lobster to oil, and fry until lobster is a nice golden brown.
7. Remove lobster from oil and place on a paper towels to drain excess oil.
This is what the lobster should look like when it is done frying.
1. Warm up rolls in the oven for a few minutes
2. When done, slice rolls in 1/2 and add mayo, lettuce/tomato, and pickles. Mayo and pickles were omitted from my po’ boys per kids request. But add whatever condiments you desire.
3. Next add the lobster, and drizzle with some type of sauce. I added Wild Thymes Thai Chili Dipping Sauce.
4. Serve with a bag of chips/french fries/or whatever you desire.